Reed Law Firm, P.A. - bankruptcy

Columbia: 803-807-2565

Florence: 843-536-0073

Putting an end to wage garnishment

Being subject to wage garnishment can be extremely demotivating and distressing. It can feel as though you do not have autonomy in your life because you are working only to have wages taken from you in order to pay off debt. Wage garnishment measures are generally only put in place when a person is severely late on their debt repayment obligations and can afford to pay off their debt.

If you want to put an end to the wage garnishment that you are subject to so that you can live a life free of debt, it is important that you take the time to consider your options. Your wage garnishment may only be put to an end under certain circumstances.

Can a bankruptcy filing put an end to my wage garnishment?

Filing for bankruptcy is one of the most effective and efficient ways to put an end to wage garnishment. However, you should file for bankruptcy in order to work toward becoming debt-free, not only to stop the process of wage garnishment. The automatic stay that comes into effect after a person files for bankruptcy means that all creditor action must stop. This means that creditors can no longer garnish wages.

However, wages that are garnished for the purpose of gaining unpaid child support or unpaid taxes will not be stopped. You will still have the obligation to continue paying such debts.

If you want to get relief from wage garnishment, it is important that you understand the full range of options available to you. From there, you can choose the best strategy for your situation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Columbia Law Office
220 Stoneridge Drive, Suite 301
Columbia, SC 29210

Phone: 803-807-2565
Columbia Law Office Map

Florence Law Office
1807 West Evans Street, Suite B
Florence, SC 29501

Phone: 843-536-0073
Florence Law Office Map