You do not have to put up with harassing phone calls or threatening letters from creditors. If you are having debt problems, Reed Law Firm, P.A., can help you get rid of debts you cannot pay and get a fresh financial start.
Under state and federal law, you have the right to obtain relief from many kinds of debt by filing bankruptcy. At the same time, bankruptcy laws protect you from issues such as creditor harassment, garnishments, repossession and foreclosure. To talk to a lawyer about what bankruptcy can do for you, call 803-807-2565 in Columbia or 843-536-0073 in Florence. We serve clients throughout central and eastern South Carolina.
Don’t Let Common Bankruptcy Myths Stop You
Misconceptions about filing for bankruptcy stop many people from exercising their rights under the law. Here are some examples:
- Bankruptcy will permanently ruin my credit rating. In the long run, filing for bankruptcy can improve your credit rating. In most cases, you will be able to obtain a mortgage or other loan within a few years of completing bankruptcy.
- Bankruptcy is for people who live beyond their means. Many of our clients are dealing with debt due to chronic illness, unemployment or changes in the housing market.
- I will lose my home. In many cases, we are able to use bankruptcy to stop foreclosure proceedings and negotiate a new payment plan with the lender, allowing our client to keep their house.
- My spouse must file with me. If you are married, you are still allowed to file bankruptcy by yourself, without your spouse.
- I can only file bankruptcy one time. Depending on the Chapter and whether you received a discharge, you may have little or no waiting period if you need to file again. Check with Reed Law Firm, P.A. to see if you are eligible to file again.
The following pages provide more information about bankruptcy:
- Filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy: Don’t let a creditor feed you misinformation about Chapter 7 bankruptcy. It is still the simplest and fastest way to obtain relief from debts such as credit card, payday loans and medical bills while protecting many types of important assets such as your home, your car, your retirement savings and personal assets up to a certain value.
- Filing Chapter 13 bankruptcy: Chapter 13 bankruptcy provides a viable alternative if you do not qualify for Chapter 7 bankruptcy or if you have significant assets you would lose in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing such as a vacation home. In Chapter 13, all of your debts are combined into one monthly payment without interest or penalties. You pay only what the bankruptcy judge determines you can pay — which may be a small percentage of what you owe.
- Stopping credit harassment: Filing bankruptcy will put an immediate end to attempts by creditors to collect debts that you owe. It will put an immediate stop to harassing phone calls, lawsuits and auto repossession.
- Stopping home foreclosure: You don’t have to live in fear of losing your home. Filing bankruptcy will put an immediate stop to a home foreclosure and give you time to explore options such as mortgage modification.
You do not have to endure the stress of money matters or allow embarrassment to dictate your decision-making. Take action with one phone call to the attorneys at Reed Law Firm, P.A.
Talk To A Lawyer Today About Bankruptcy As A Solution To Your Debt Problems
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.